Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Optimistic Ventures (#SpringSeason)

Benefits of Optimism

I have not seen the Life of Pi. I have seen the Pursuit of Happyness. I have seen Escape from Alcatraz and The Rock. I have not seen the whole Twilight Saga thing (is there optimism in there?). I have seen buzzer-beaters, last second saves, healing processes, underdogs, champions, and calculus. All of these involve some form of optimism.

And so does...finishing a marathon, finishing a half marathon, finishing a triathlon, finishing a duathlon, walking 20 miles, bicycling 50 miles, performing 20 push-ups, and eating tofu sprinkled with olive oil and cilantro.

It. Is. All. Optimism.

Setting out to do 5 reps of 5 exercises for 5 sets without stopping or with very little rest is demanding. Increasing the reps, decreasing the sets, and keeping the same number of exercises in this order creates a form of optimism. I have noticed that the spring time invites individuals to become or to practice optimism because it is a vibrant time of year: We go from snow (it's snowing as I type) to warmer weather; from 1/3 of the year completed to anticipating the congested 2/3 left in the year; from March to April; from dry or wet soil and dirt to smelly mulch and fresh canine excrement that reminds us, "dang, I should not have worn my minimalist shoes in the grass today."

Toepick.

All of it is optimism. Optimistic that we will progress into a new season. #SpringSeason

So, walking up and down your front or building stairs (just pick 10 steps if you live on a high level floor) five times, circling your arms five times each way, squatting five times, wall push-upping or regular push-upping five times....without resting between exercises is a battle. I am optimistic that you can survive the test and can modify or challenge yourself (which may involve changing some exercises) in order to see results. Will you see results as we march into spring? Yes. I do not like making guarantee, but I guarantee it.

Purpose & Development
Derek

Derek Arledge, CSCS          TEEM Performance Training          www.teempt.com


No comments:

Post a Comment