Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Family Exercise Success - By Teri Gomes

Enjoy this piece by TEEM Performance Training client, Teri Gomes - teacher, mother, wife. She has worked very hard!:


It is important for families to work together when it comes to health and fitness. Children often imitate what they see adults do. I have worked with children for the past ten years and I’ve noticed that often times they will speak or act like someone who has a strong influence on them. During free play in our classroom’s drama area, I see students dress up or pretend to drive cars as if they were other family members. During lunch I see children selecting food choices based on what their families do. So, while it’s great to make an impact on little ones, it’s important that we do our best to make daily exercise and selecting healthy foods a part of everyone’s lives.  

Courtesy of Teri Gomes

Exercising keeps our bodies healthy and builds up our immune systems.  It puts us in a good mood and helps us deal with stress and other challenges we may have to juggle. Eating healthy also provides fuel to keep us going throughout the day. Making the choice to exercise encourages our kids and other family members to exercise and eat right. When they see us making it as part of our life style, over time it will influence them to make the same choice.


Working out together also brings families closer together. By setting some time aside to go for a run, to walk around the neighborhood, or even to play at the park or in the yard, we do not only build our bodies; but we also build up our relationships with the people we care about.  And sometimes, when we feel that we may not have the time to exercise, our kids will be there to remind us saying, “Hey this is our time to exercise,” or “Hey, lets eat some carrots instead of eating junk food.” Both my kids are involved in sports and one of my daughters is currently running track. Seeing her involved in this sport brings back so many memories of my own days as a runner, and all the hard work that goes into it. But, the most important thing to me is the joy and fun I got out of seeing her exercising.  

Courtesy of Teri Gomes
Courtesy of Teri Gomes

My children have an interest in exercise and choose more healthier meals than fried food because of the influence that my husband and me have shown them. We are all busy, and it takes time to fit it into our schedule. But, just starting small will make a difference. Start off by two or three times a week to go for a brisk walk; two to three times a week drink between 6-10 glasses of water; try to add a salad or bake food into a meal. Each week increase it. There’s nothing wrong with starting small. As I mentioned before, my daughter is now running cross country. Over this summer we went on short runs. It started off by running to one block and then walking the next block, to eventually being able to run without stopping for a mile. Now in the fall, I can say she has been able to build up enough stamina that she can run longer distances. As for myself, I completed my first road race 2.2 miles since 1998. Families get out there and exercise! Let’s Go!


Teri Gomes

1 comment:

  1. Ms. Gomes makes some very valid arguments. Small steps always lead to big changes.

    ReplyDelete