Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Controversy and Winning on Who is Disliked the Most in Sports (in America)

A different twist on The Ten Most Disliked People in Sports, according to Forbes.com is written below.

The Top Five consists of: Al Davis, Mike Vick, Jerry Jones, Tiger Woods, and Manny Ramirez.

I'm glad they did not use the word "hate" to replace "dislike" because...

Hate is such a strong word. Hate is distasteful. It's hard to stomach. Hating someone or something is definitely hurtful. To hate is basically an awful feeling.

(I looked the word up for its true meaning after writing the above paragraph). Hate is defined by the Encarta World English Dictionary (online) as "to dislike somebody or something intensely, often in a way that evokes feelings of anger, hostility, or animosity."

I'm not saying you cannot utter the word "hate". After all, it is a word. I stopped saying hate to describe my feelings towards teams, players, or most things because I realized that I did not hate whatever I hated. I disliked it.

Let's take, for instance, broccoli, a very innocent vegetable that fights for your good health (Don't get me wrong. I like broccoli, but some people have issues with veggies. Let's keep those individuals in our thoughts.) People who hate broccoli say, "I hate broccoli!" OK...but, slow your role. Are you really angry over broccoli? What did broccoli ever do to you? Wait, wait don't tell me. It walked up from your plate one evening and bully-slapped you in your face? No, no, it hoodwinked you one evening and disguised itself as a cinnabon when, in fact, Eureka!...It was broccoli! (Ha, it doubled crossed you.)

Are you catching the hate swagger here? This list comprises of the top ten sports figures that people dislike (believe me many people will use "hate" to describe it). But, an extremely small percentage of the population has only met one or none of them. Yes, I know the phrase "Don't hate the player (playa). Hate the game." That's used in good fun, but some individuals take this hate game too seriously and get really emotional over certain sports figures. Equally, that is the definition of hate right there in the last sentence. But, man, this list/topic should not affect a person's feelings.

Now, we're almost done. It looks like the people have spoken on their dislike list. Yes, the people have issues with sports figures that have controversy and are not winning on an individual basis. What happened to the underdog? I'm not sure. Who says all of these guys are underdogs...or not? If you look at the top ten, winning was not really in their corner in the past year.

Come to think of it - there are public dislikes with individuals or teams that do win on a consist basis. Hey, at least the individual or team has the right formula.

Enjoy your day!

Be fit,
Derek

www.teempt.com

No comments:

Post a Comment