Powered By Blogger

Friday, May 27, 2011

Part I - Shop Smart

Well, I am not sure how polished your grocery receipts look. But, there is a chance that you are spending more than you need to spend. To help you shop smarter, as it is one of the benefits of TEEM, I want to compare a price & item expenditure list. Let's see if you make a change (big or small) or you may not have to change.

On a recent trip to two Stop and Shop grocery stores (Everett, MA and Somerville, MA. By the way, Giant, Safeway, Pathmark, et al will do.), I had a chance to compare prices. I also sought to compare the prices of choices we make when buying groceries. The discovery will save you money and will be more healthy.

Price List
- Bananas $0.59/lbs (~ $2.36 for 4lbs. Everett) and $0.69/lbs (~ $2.76 for 4lbs. Somerville) versus $2.50 for a sugary or more fattening treat
- Bunched Broccoli - $1.69/lbs ($6.76 @ 4lbs. ) at both stores versus most likely opt for a sugary treat at $2.50
- Braeburn Apples - $1.79/lbs both stores = (no apples on sale but red delicious - $1.49 in Everett and $1.59 in Somerville) - I threw this in there because I am an apple connoisseur. You can add it in as you feel fit to your price range.- Food Should Taste Good Potato Chips (Lime, Olive, Multigrain) - $3.49, 6oz versus Cheetos $3.49, 8oz.
- Cliff Bar (organic) $2.99 for 10 (individually they are roughly $1.29 to $1.50) versus Cinnabon Bars - $2.99 for 6 and Mr. Goodbar 10/$10
- Oatmeal $2.99 16 oz. versus Muffin $1.50
- All Bran store brand 2 for $5.00 ($2.50 each), 4g of protein, sugar is the 5th ingredient, and 2x as much dietary fiber as versus Fruit Loops $3.39 with 1g of protein, sugar is the 1st ingredient, 3g of dietary fiber, and 12.2oz

The better choice (1st bold price per line): $21.09 - the Everett price, rough estimate on broccoli lbs. were included. The other (2nd bold price per line): $16.37 - Mr. Goodbar not included in total but add it and see the total skyrocket! Difference = $4.72

What could be going through your mind: "See, the less nutritious foods cost less." But, your body is saying, "Oh, so I'm worth $4.72 to you in this case?" The bottom line is that you may spend less or slightly more on purchasing more nutritious foods. However, these types of foods will last longer, give you more energy, help you think clearer, and help you move better among other. Plus, you are more inclined to continue to consume the 'other choice' at a greater rate, which ultimately means you will spend more money over an extended time period.

So again, ask yourself, "what is it going to take for me to progress past my grocery vices?" Now, before you assume. I also, occasionally, make the 'other choice' when I can make the 'better choice'. As I have mentioned before, there is a difference between making the 'other choice' and sticking with it and making the 'other choice' and controlling it. A health conscious person can control the 'other choice' in many ways. A person who is struggling to make the 'better choice' will (it's not difficult to decipher) struggle with controlling the 'other choice'.

I'll leave with this input. I just spent about $90 on my last two trips to the grocery store. I do not normally spend $90 in that amount of time. I am also on a budget, so the excuse of "I can't buy anything healthy because I am on a budget" is not uttered out of my mouth. Do you really think Whole Foods thinks "well we are going out of business because people are short on money and we'll take their paycheck?"

Case and point: I know that the foods I purchased will last longer than 'other choices' I could have made. I know that I will feel better by buying the 'better choice'.

Part II - Item Dissection

Be fit,
Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment