Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Give It a Tryout ▶️


It's youth ice hockey tryout season here in the DC area. As I look at my son try out, a few things float through my head:

1) Why are tryouts in the spring? When I played Tier 2 youth hockey, tryouts occurred in the fall. Tier 1 tryouts happened in the spring. The Tier 1 team I played for had a summer tryout...Best developmental year of my career with that one.

The spring tryout season seems too soon. Sure, you get an early look at rosters. However, I am still built on the notion that a child will improve a level up over the summer. Or, he or she the potential to improve a level. 

What do you mean, D?


If a player makes an A team in April, I believe he or she can play at a AA level by the start of the season in September. If that is the case, then some young tryout athletes need a second look.

2) Children love to have fun. Albeit, these children out here could play all day long. To them, who cares if tryouts are in April or late August/early September. They play regardless.

3) We're here, again. Tryout season pretty much marks the rest of a sport career. Tryouts always exist from this point on whether the level holds at youth, high school, college, juniors, Olympics, and professional. Players are always evaluated throughout a season.

Well, let the games continue...

Derek | @teemptraining | derekteempt@gmail.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment