Powered By Blogger

Friday, March 20, 2015

Race Diary - Part 2 - Let Me Explain

#Running #Motivation #Inspiration #MarathonSports #CambridgeCityRun

Some challenges in training for this 5-miler on the 29th:

  1. I have not run at least a 5-mile race in 8 years (triathlon). It has been 9 years since my last true running road race, the Capitol Hill Classic in Washington, DC.
  2. There is ample time to train.
  3. I have a kid. He's active. I'm sleepy. Enough said.
  4. New stress. I'm not normal stressed. But, this month is different.
  5. It's Lent season. Typically, around this time of year, the church that I attend in Cambridge, MA, Pentecostal Tabernacle, goes on a Daniel Fast. If you are unfamiliar with this type of fast, let me inform you:
    • No meats
    • No sweets
    • No preservatives or additives
    • No dairy - Oh my! No chocolate milk for muscle replenishing!
    • Yes, to 100% juice, water, natural smoothies, and caffeine-free herbal tea
    • Yes, to vegetables, fruits, nuts, beans, etc....when you look at it, the Daniel Fast is not that bad.
Oatmeal Casserole

The Upside
  1. I hate excuses. I really hate excuses that deal with exercise and why exercise cannot be completed.
  2. I am a fitness professional. So, I can work around all of the distractions that inhibit training.
  3. I like challenges. But, let me rephrase that...I look forward to physical challenges that also require mental and spiritual aspects.
  4. Due to my knowledge of the body and nutrition, I know what I have to eat. I know what will get me through the day.
Oh, should I mention that I am expecting to finish between 33:16 and 38:47. Most people look at my physique and think I am runner. In fact, I have even had some people ask if I run marathons. No. I'm 6'1", 174 lbs. I played soccer, ran track (sprints), and played ice hockey for the majority of my youth. Ice hockey was/is my sport. When I can play, I will put on the skates. Which means? I'm built more compacted than a distance runner. But hey....see above. I hate excuses.

Thursday, March 12, 2015
Bring it! Let's do it!..6x800m

What really happened: 1x800m, 1x400? - forgot to turn down the burner on my water boiling. My wife was sleeping, and 3x240m
Stretch. Done.

Friday, March 13, 2015
I don't have anything for you.

Saturday, March 14, 2015
I don't have anything for you.

Sunday, March 15th, 2015
Ah! Some high rep kettlebell exercises followed by treadmill running in socks and a couple of sets of high rep abs exercises.

New goal: wake up very, very early to begin exercising in order to get in the expected amount of exercises and running reps!

Oh yea, the Daniel Fast is over as of today. But, the healthy eating continues as usual.

With heart,
Derek

Derek Arledge, MS, CSCS        www.teempt.com         TEEM Performance Training

No comments:

Post a Comment