Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Swim Season: Neighbrhood Pool


Well, neighborhood pool season has ended.

How do I rate this end to a great season: ☹

Why the sad face? Because the 2022 pool season was a good season. I am proud to see that my son made big strides with his pool confidence and performance. My daughter...she made strides of her own that we will build on. Fearlessness and patience have been huge in their pool development.

Psst, I think my daughter really wants mom to swim in the pool with her.

Prior to the neighborhood pool season, we set goals: My son had to swim the length of the pool without stopping. My daughter had to swim the width of the pool without stopping or with noodles.

Now, as I type this post, my daughter used the two pool noodles we have very well. She did roam around without me guiding her. My son might have adopted the temporary nickname, Pool Shark.

Pool Independence. Parents, if you have confidence that you can teach your kids how to swim well, then do it. Throw away their fears of the water, especially if your children have fears of full body submerging. As your young ones improve, let the watchful sitback take effect.

The Sitback - With care you witness your children develop a skill. Depending on its difficulty or environment, you put a little distance between parent and child. Smile, congratulate, and continue to encourage the progress made. Good job, dad! Good job, mom!

Pool Fun. The number one reason and goal to attend the pool...to have fun. The other skills were secondary. With neighborhoods, kids see their friends and add to the fun they already experience around respected homes. Perhaps, a bit of competition ensues - I second for competition - that will make your child a better swimmer. No one is asking for your son or daughter to swim like Phelps or Ledecky. But, you can compete in the pool with games and races.

Well, with Labor Day always on the mark for the end to the neighborhood pool season, expect more improvement and fun next season. 

You have until Memorial Day to prepare...eight months!

Much success to you | Derek | @teemptraining  | derekteempt@gmail.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment