Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Youth Sports: No Life?...Make Life


I had a conversation with a good person, but a familiar line she used alarmed me:

"My son will be playing travel ice hockey, so my weekend schedule will change."

I meant that statement in good will and excitement.

"Oh yes, we did that with my son with basketball. Traveled up and down the road plus the school team. We had no life."

She did not mean anything bad her statement. It was mentioned in a good manner with gratitude.

But, the, "no life", term...it is common. So, can the narrative change, please? Some parents deal with it better than others: they really feel like they have no life traveling, and others feel like they have no life under their own control but are grateful to see their child develop.

Our conversation fell into the latter version. 

See, life's extra-curricular activities change with athletic schedules. Yet, in the process of this change you can make a life progression. For example, if a weekend has you traveling to New Haven, Connecticut and the following weekend to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; but you live in Boston, MA, then you have an opportunity to visit state parks, historical landmarks and buildings, renowned restaurants, nice scenery, perhaps the beach (in CT, that is), or sleep. 

Sure, you can sleep.

In a nutshell, you can broaden your scope about life on the weekends in a new place. Yes, it will take travel and time. I get it.

The locations differ. But, at least you can have new experiences and change up monotony to your weekend. You get it.

On a personal level, I look forward to travel outside of the area when away games occur in the coming years. Will I need energy? Sure! I also like to explore new areas and tend to like many things.

All I am saying is...adjust. You'll be fine! We will be fine!

Much success to you | Derek | @teemptraining | derekteempt@gmail.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment