Powered By Blogger

Thursday, July 22, 2010

HAHPN June 2010 #1

Hiatus
•Promo
•Rev Up Your Warm Up (because it bores me!)


Hiatus
Well, hello to you all! It has been about two and half months since the last e-newsletter. Some things have changed, and other things have improved. The website has undergone some minor updates with more topics in the discussion forum section. The TEEM facebook page continues to be updated. Lastly, skype. Skype is a good way to answer and demonstrate in health and fitness related inquiries. Touch base at skype to DAbe4others.

Promo
Check this out. I know it's short notice. If the Celtics win tonight, receive a complimentary outdoor boot camp training session. I know everyone is split up geographically on this distribution list, so this promo is valid for anyone in the Boston and DC areas. All you have to do is email the word "Boot Camp" to derek.arledge@gmail.com by Friday, June 18th at 6:18AM EST.

Rev Up Your Warm Up (because it bores me!) - Part I
As part of a minor change to HAHPN, I will be including more detailed blogs that will eventually make it to the website. Here, is part I of Rev Up Your Warm Up (because it bores me!)

Rev Up Your Warm-Up (because it bores me!) – Part I
The warm up has fined tuned itself over the years. If you regularly attend a gym, you may see a few members doing a couple of old-fashioned static stretches before they begin their exercise routine. No! By any means, do not copy them. You are only asking for performance and muscle trouble. I will give you this rule of thumb. You may repeat the mantra on your own:

Static stretching, the way our coaches told us to stretch, is not the best form of stretching before a workout routine (repeat 3x).
Active and dynamic stretching routines are the new and more effective form of a dynamic warm up (repeat 3x).

Why didn’t my coach tell me this when I was an adolescent? I could have shown my skills on ESPN Sportscenter (um, yea, not quite).
So, you could be wondering. What are the benefits of a dynamic warm-up. Hone in for a second:

•Increase blood flow and core temperature
•Increase nervous energy (= increase nerve transmission rate)
•Increase muscle activation
•Increase muscle awareness
•Increase movement fluidity (= decrease muscle stiffness)
•Increases muscle-tendon suppleness
•Enhances free coordination of movements

In some cases, static stretching is preferred by an individual. But, this choice is entirely up to the discretion of the trainer/coach and the client/athlete. Would you like some homework? The next time you go to a baseball game (it is summertime in case you have been deprived of warm weather, so far) get there early to see the players warm up. If they do not do dynamic routines, then either 1) they’re asking for trouble 2) Or, their strength coach does not like his players to execute high performance. [Stay tuned for Part II]

In health and fitness,
Derek

TEEM Performance Training
www.teempt.com

No comments:

Post a Comment