Powered By Blogger

Friday, July 23, 2010

Let's Move!

If you have not heard, Michelle Obama has launched her Let's Move! initiative, which serves the purpose of fighting childhood obesity (and I'll add in fighting the inactivity epidemic).

On Tuesday, July 13, 2010, Mrs. Obama sat down for a 30-minute interview to talk about her plan. You can see the interview in the previous blog.

I like this initiative. I don't think it is the answer to all of our childhood obesity and inactivity issues, but it is a great...addition.

There were four things that I want to concentrate on with this initiative:

1)
Mrs. Obama talked about getting children engaged. I agree with her in saying that kids should be engaged in cooking. I remember being a part of a cooking class as a kid in addition to watching my parents and grandmother cook.

My experiences helped to appreciate how food is prepared in the kitchen and helped to appreciate the cook (
you know when you put salt, pepper, sauces, and other condiments on certain foods you are undermining the cook's skills to a degree?). Hey, I'm not saying that I don't do it. But, I don't always do it either.


2)
First Lady Obama talked about how grown-ups need to change their habits in order to make this initiative work. I wholeheartedly agree!Kids look up to their parents and guardians. Let's say a kid wants to play, but the parent is not tired from a long day at work. The parent chooses to make lounging and watching TV a priority over giving the kid some attention....Now, I know I do not have any kids yet. But, for the betterment of their health the kids deserve that attention...Changing actions, thoughts, words, and ideals is very important in this case. It can happen.Pacing, organization, and control will be key as well.


3)
Our First Lady Obama talked about establishing a generational goal. Basically, five years is too short to achieve this goal with tremendous results. I mean, an entire generation has been affected due to a change in ideals, thoughts, actions, and words...Would a kid rather play video games for 4 hours or play outdoors? Four hours seems to be the unfair answer.

Don't get me wrong. I played video games too growing up, but the chance to get outdoors and play took precedence. We used video games as a rest period!


4)
Michelle Obama talked about professional leagues supporting healthy kids. Mrs. Obama, good looking out on this one! Who do most kids admire? Athletes. In what do athletes play in, well some? Professional leagues. To see an individual with blessed physicality like an athlete (or a non-professional athlete) is amazing to a kid versus someone who does not have that appearance...serving by example and influence is key here.

OK, that's it!

CSCSing it,
Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment