Powered By Blogger

Saturday, December 25, 2021

Choose Wordly Wise

From July 2016 with Dec 2021 edits...

We really have to be careful about the words and phrases we choose, about the words and phrases we believe in, and about the words and phrases that are so renowned that they are like action verbs in common talk. Yet, they fail to empower and to embody a positive vibe or outcome.

Do you think Capt. Kristen Griest and 1st Lt. Shaye Haver uttered the phrase, "I can't do it"?

Recently, I asked a ten year old kid, "Hey, how's soccer. I saw you doing well at camp." His response, "I suck at soccer." Not that the response that I expected. What is dad saying to instill the confidence? What is being said to redirect or restructure his words. "I suck at soccer" can be substituted for, "I had fun." At that age, "I had fun," speaks volumes. "I suck" is like killing a spud before it becomes a potato. It does not get a chance to grow.

Where does it come from?
Parents, siblings, friends, other family, teachers, coaches, social media, television, characters in books, ads, songs...the "I can't" mentality lives everywhere to our disadvantage. It limits people from the time they are born and through adulthood. 

STOP!

Derek - @teemptraining 

No comments:

Post a Comment