Powered By Blogger

Friday, July 29, 2022

A Baseball Opinion


You can view the interview, a good one, in the link below between Deion Sanders/Coach Prime and comedian Desi Banks: Sanders & Banks - go to the 14:00 mark to hear the take on baseball.

“This is the problem with baseball,” Deion Sanders began. “Black fathers never played baseball so black fathers are not pushing their kids towards baseball. So when the black father wants to play with his son, he puts in his hands what he is accustomed to. Baseball is not the option.”

You should follow Coach Prime on Instagram. He has built a solid football program at Jackson State and continues to establish a nutured environment.

Now, on to the baseball topic. I understand his opinion, and it has a lot of truth to it. Exposure plays a major factor in the decision and guidance to play a sport. I was exposed to hockey, played it, and have coached it since 2000 when I was a junior in college. My dad exposed me to baseball. He took me to Baltimore Orioles games at Memorial Stadium and then Camden Yards. I could rattle off the Orioles roster, asked for a few baseball video games, knew part of opposing team rosters, and paid attention to the all-star game, homerun derby, playoffs and World Series. I can listen to an entire baseball game on the radio - it's cool on a good night and keeps me awake as I visualize the game.


So, I understand the impact and need for exposure. 

The influence of black fathers on their children in this case travels far. Every influential father benefits their children. Children tend to emulate the sport their parents played. True.

But, I have to chime in because, yes, the MLB can do more on this matter as Coach Prime mentions in the interview in terms of the cost of baseball. In hockey, the NHL has assisted with equipment drives. Therefore, a youth player may not pay for equipment as often when they outgrow a set. Yes, registration costs have increased and surpass the cost of equipment in ice hockey, an expensive sport itself. Yet, the pro assistance is present.

However, over a two-day period, I went to two park complexes that have a total of nine baseball fields. All nine fields were empty. Both complexes have different demographics.

All nine were still empty. The basketball court...occupied. Soccer field...occupied. Tennis coourt...occupied. Fit course...occupied.

The closest baseball field to you is empty right now.


See, baseball has its differences as a sport: You need 18 people to play a legit game. You can play homerun derby, play pepper, shorten the outfield (but how much fun is that if you can smash the ball well over the wall then chase), or have friends run all over the field in 4v4. It's hot in the summer, and the other months in which everyone plays a different sport. I rarely see young baseball athletes consuming the field in the off-season. It's almost like once the season ends, they're out!

I recently commented to one former youth baseball player about this empty matter. He said, "Yea, it's kind of difficult to get friends to play pick up."

These examples are not excuses. I heard this opinion, and it triggered a minor investigation.

Do not give up on baseball but recognize the different flow of the sport per seasons. In the summer, who wants to fry in the sun while still? You can fry by other means. Soccer fields, basketball courts, tennis courts, sand volleyball, disc golf, golf, all of these fields and courts are occupied due to their ease to gather small groups. The baseball diamonds sit. Vacant. Not invited to every party.

My dad and I took advantage of empty baseball fields when he would pitch to me and I would attempt to hit his fast balls. He could pitch well. But, I never wanted to.play baseball despite my exposure to it and interest in the sport. I'm still a fan though my intensity toward the sport has dwindled versus the nine years young me.

Baseball is a good sport. It has a bundle of athletes and attracts many spectators. The diamond has a different flow compared to other sports, but that ideal does not cause for uninterest. Spread the sport. Play when you can play.

Derek | @teemptraining | derekteempt@gmail.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment