Powered By Blogger

Friday, July 8, 2022

Seniors Rock!


Seniors have motivation, time πŸ•’, motivation, stories, focus, motivation...

I love training seniors and retirees. They know what they want and how to achieve it. I do miss the seniors I trained while living and operating in the Boston area. They spread the word, showed up, and kept returning πŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎ

So, in a recent article I read about the Senior Olympics, which, by the way, will be held in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 2023, I had a joy and hope. Many individuals view seniority as slow, boring, and having the lack of ability to do many activities.

Stop thinking that thought ✋ 🧠. 

Seniors thrive in pickleball, archery 🎯, and other smaller sports. I was even inspired by a 70yy sprinter I saw in a 2022 Penn Relays πŸƒ‍♂️ highlight.

You know what is sad?...We have 30 and 40yy folks out here talking about their old age with life still to live. We have to change the narrative on old thought processes like this one. Movement has accepted pickled speech πŸ’¬ for so long that we have a movement pandemic.

Movement pandemics begin early in life when a child rarely sees positive movement structure from parents or their immediate environment. Perhaps, physical education class was not fun for the child as well as athletics involvement. But, we human performance professionals have many ways to help our compatriots and 🌎 neighbors along the way.

Why the loss of inspiration?

Inspiring a child who may not have as much athleticism or worse, a desire to move and play, is at and should serve as the forefront of physical education curricula. 

But, the sense of inspiration lives...🚢‍♂️ 🚢🏿‍♀️

I loved my PE program in grade school. But, I must say that I had great teachers who made classes fun and included everyone.

I loved that my parents encouraged movement. 

I loved play (still do) and playing youth sports.

Now, I know safety of environment plays a large factor in childhood play as does maintenance of playground equipment, neighborhoods, and family structure. So, with hope, practice, and action, our youngest generations can evolve into active seniors.

Perhaps current young adult and middle-aged adults can evolve into active seniors as well. With serious fun...keep moving! Play!

Derek | @teemptraining | derekteempt@gmail.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment