Powered By Blogger

Monday, January 17, 2022

Add Critical Thinking to Your Performance Repertoire 🤯👍🏾💯

Let me start with a conversation I had with a valued participant in one of my group fitness classes I teach at The St. James. It occurred after we had warmed up and finished one set of lunges, lateral lunges, a run, and and abs exercise:


Exerciser: My knee.

Me: Is it sore?

Exerciser: Yes

Me: Did you do a lot of squats and lunges in the class you took yesterday?

Exerciser: Yes.

Me: Did you rest afterwards and stretch?

Exerciser: No. A little.

Me: It sounds like overuse. Here, no more lunges or squats for today. Instead, (proceeded to show her) do these...they're called Single Leg 🦵 Romanian Deadlifts.

Exerciser: Ah, OK. Ohh, ooh, these are nice.


Me: How does it feel?

Exerciser: Good.

Me: OK. Stick with those, and I can give other modifications.

Her pain was not from my class. It occurred due to a combination of classes without proper recovery. Don't be afraid to rest in 2022 or any other time. I also did not want her to feel that her pain was severe. Some rest would most likely do just fine. I did give her two mobility exercises for her recovery.

It happens often with members at gyms or individuals who workout a lot. It? Lack of rest and too much intensity for the same muscle group. 

Get it? Biting off more than you should chew.

Derek|@teemptraining |derekteempt@gmail.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment