Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Why Do People Have Issues with Witnessing Winning 💯


Have you met that one person who dislikes a team, athlete, or person because he or she wins a lot?

Well, that used to describe how I felt about Duke Men's Basketball. Used to until I thought about it. I asked myself, "Derek, why don't you truly like Duke Men's Basketball?"

I sat for 10 seconds thinking of anything and came up with nothing. All I could fathom was their winning ways. So, I told myself, "I should never dislike a team because they win a lot. It does not make sense."

And, you know what? It doesn't make any sense to discourage winning...in this particular case.


Why did I have a certain disdain for Duke MBB? It all goes back to The Shot in the 1992 Elite Eight. I think I had the Kentucky Wildcats winning the NCAA Tournament that year. As I sat in my dad's kitchen chair, peering into the living room TV, the anticipation boiled as Grant Hill took the inbound pass and hauled it down court to Christian Laettner who, faked the defender off him, and delivered...The Shot.

Ripped up my bracket 😂!

I could not believe it. Every year The Shot was replayed, I didn't want to watch it. I would pick Duke to lose while filling out my brackets until things started to change: I picked Duke to win, but another team would upset them. Duke, however, went on to win the NCAA Tournament that year as well as in 2001, 2010, and 2015 with runner-up placements in 1994 and 1999.


I did not jump on board until their 2010 title. 

It clicked: Do not dislike a team in any sport because they win. It does not make sense. 

Ponder on this statement, I have never disliked any other team, athlete, or person because he, she, or they win. Why? Say it with me...it does not make sense! 

In the Name of Winning. You can adopt the chemistry, mastery, and poise it takes to win. What is the program's blueprint? How can your team or belief change? When one team or person wins, it makes the other competition better - training changes, team preparation changes, adaptation to a better environment occurs. 

Winning is good.

Derek|@teemptraining |derekteempt@gmail.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment