Powered By Blogger

Friday, December 2, 2022

10 Items: 10 Best Christmas Songs


This list is not a ranking of my top 10 Christmas songs. The list includes the ten Christmas songs that I consider to be the best and the talented musicians who sang them. Many good songs did not make the list of 10, but it does not mean that I don't jam to them. Seriously, I may find myself changing this list.

Not a ranking!

Which ones do you check off?:

1) This Christmas by Donnie Hathaway - Favorite. I know...you like the Chris Brown version. Pssh! Donnie has this one, which is best heard on the drive home.

2) All I Want for Christmas Is You by Mariah Carey - Stop the slander on this song, now! You know you like it. Sure, you hear it a lot. So! Keep hearing it. It's best heard while shopping of any kind or walking with your family, spouse, or date that won't be scared away.

3) O Holy Night by Mariah Carey - Mariah's vocals just made it a nice night. Play it while doing stuff around the house or lip sync it while grocery shopping.

4) Silent Night by The Temptations - TT knew what they were doing when they made this song.

5) God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen by Pentatonix - you gotta listen to it. 

6) Hark! The Herald Angles Sing by...various artists - Nat King Cole adds the old school velvet voice. Vanessa Williams, my first celebrity crush back in the 80s has her own twist. As I alluded to in the intro... the song counts. Hark! has so many good versions.

7) O Come, All Ye Faithful by Luther Vandross - Add a choir to your song, and see what happens. 

8) Little Drummer Boy by The Temptations - Pentatonix almost had this song. Both groups go in on the song in their own creative way. If I scored it out of 100%: TT - 51%; 5onix - 49%.

9)The Christmas Song by Nat King Cole & Natalie Cole (duet) and Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas by Luther Vandross - I've never roasted chestnuts by an open fire. But, the song makes me think I did roast them. Luther...I mean, Lutha's version gives similar vibes as the father-daughter Cole duo. Hold the press!...Whitney Houston went in on her version!

10) Joy to the World by Mariah Carey (specifically the Live version at St. John the Devine) and Whitney Houston's choir version - Look...ties are allowed. Play both of these versions. If joy has not arrived yet, then another reason for why not exists.

Yes, I do like Jingle Bells, Jingle Bell Rock, which I actually sung live in front of at least 40 people, Carol of the Bells, Let it Snow by Boyz II Men and the more upbeat versions by other artists, and other songs. Face it...Christmas songs have a certain appeal that attaches to you like barnacles on a post.

Pick your songs and play away. There are plenty out there!

What are your favorites? Can you sing them?

Merry Christmas!

Much success to you | Derek | @teemptraining |derekteempt@gmail.com 





No comments:

Post a Comment