Powered By Blogger

Thursday, December 1, 2022

Use Your Skills: Get a Grip

Open/Underhand grip

As I was training a client last month, she asked, "My balance. Is that something that goes away as you age?"

To anyone who reads this post...yes.

Everything goes away. But, if we work on everything throughout the year and not all in one day, then the time it takes for skills to diminish slows. Some skills decline slower than others, namely your endurance and balance. But, practice and usage does work. So, use your balance. Use your skills every week, every season, every month...every year.

Closed/Overhand grip

At the beginning of the year, one of my personal goals included more frequent and better sprints. So, I found myself sprinting whenever I want to sprint. Another goal I have for the year is getting to 20 pull-ups. This one will be more difficult. But, I had to switch up my approach by adding weighted pull-ups.

Now, my pull-ups have taken on a new feeling. They love added weight and different grips:

Neutral-Open. Left hand grips with palm facing toward the right. Right hand grip with palm facing behind you. Vice versa too.

Neutral grip

Open-Closed
. Left hand grips, palm face behind you. Right grips with palm facing in front of you.

Neutral-Neutral Opposite. Both palms face each other, but you may grip on either side of a bar. You may see this set-up at a playground.

Irregular-Irregular. You are used to gripping poles, bars, and smooth circular structures. Irregular grip has you gripping a wider surface, a towel, a ball, or cross section of two bars.

Neutral-Irregular. You know what neutral and irregular are now.

Open-Irregular. You got it.

Closed-Irregular. Keep going.

Irregular Opposite. Tough but your muscles will adapt.

Let this message serve as a way to help you do what you need to do: use your skills now.

Much success to you | Derek | @teemptraining | derekteempt@gmail.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment